Lockout lipgloss
I had supper with some friends at the Co-op tonight. Someone who comes to Rankin fairly regularly for work stopped me as I was making my way over to look at what was left on in the dessert display case, (which wasn't much.)
"How did you survive that lockout in this place?" she asked.
I survived (maybe even thrived?) the last month and a half because of my friends.
The lockout taught me (and I'm sure my colleagues would agree) that I have even more of them than I thought.
People like the Janes...who dropped off sandwiches, not once, but twice. Oh the soft white bread! Oh the roast beef! The mayo! And was that a hint of horseradish? Soul food.
Steve, Brian, Lisa, Brooke and anyone else who dropped by with hot cups of coffee on cold days.
The NEU who cheered us up with sandwiches and donuts. (A big shout out to Janice and Savante.)
Everyone who stopped and asked how things were going...but especially the regulars likeSamgushak, who can't even hear the radio, but who stopped by nearly every day to cheer us up.
To everyone who came out to our month-iversary on September 15, and struggled to sip coffee in the 40 km/hr winds.
Everyone who wrote a letter, signed a petition, or sent a postcard to the Prime Minister.
To Janice...for all those meals at the Co-op
To Ruthann...for all those breakfasts at the co-op, and for the notes of encouragement!
To my sister...who is in MANAGEMENT with Air Canada, but still supports her sister the picket co-ordinator!
To my dad and super stepmom for always calling me back so I didn't have a massive phone bill...and for letting me rant on and on on their tab.
To Karen...whose care package kept me from getting scurvy...and reminded me what real peaches taste like.
To my aunts and uncles and cousins whose care package came at JUST the right time (i.e. After the strike pay cheques stopped and before the regular pay cheques started!)
To Chrissy...for all the encouraging messages on my voicemail--you'd think I'd actually be home MORE when I'm out of work, wouldn't you?
To everyone who offered me freelance work...and especially the Arctic Princess who put up with my regular ranting AND put me to work wading through cheque stubs and wrestling with the &$*% ing fax/copier/printer. (Whose bright idea was that combo, anyway?)
And last but not least, to the best Mary Kay lady on the planet...who understands that a new lipgloss goes a long way on the picket line.
(Hey...don't knock the lipgloss habit. A girl's gotta do something to compensate for chronic helmet/hat head.)
I'm sure I've forgotten someone, if I have, I apologize. Don't take it personally.
As my mother used to tell me, I'd forget my head if it wasn't screwed on tight.



2 Comments:
Hey Joanne!! Glad to hear the strike has come to an end. Also glad to hear that you enjoyed our hot chocolate and coffee runs Lisa and I did. What a great excuse to hop in the work vehicle and escape from the office.
I suppose this means you are off to Iqaluit soon...Rankin will sure miss you!!
Take care.
Brooke
Keep up the good work
pregnancy and effexor xr australian oven packages 220v cooktops Waterbed singapore Didrex adipex refinance
Post a Comment
<< Home